This publicly owned art museum is located in the bustling area of Mosley Street in Manchester City Centre. The main gallery premises were built for a learned society in 1823 and today its collection occupies three connected buildings, two of which were designed by Sir Charles Barry.
Both Barry’s buildings are listed. The building that links them was designed by Hopkins Architects following an architectural design competition managed by RIBA Competitions.
Anglezarke Designs Limited were invited to work with the French based firm Eiffel Metalique Construction and together with architect, Anthony Hopkins & Partnership, (www.hopkins.co.uk) the object was to achieve a modern link between the traditional buildings, whilst achieving a modern refurbishment of the existing buildings.
Our works consisted of the specialist design, manufacture, and installation of various steel and glass structures including:
- Structurally glazed link (walls & roof)
- Suspended staircase
- Two free standing lift shafts
- Glass & steel balustrade
- Steel and glass pedestrian bridge
The Gallery was opened to rave reviews and remains one of Manchester’s focal areas to visit.